Mayor Vincent C. Gray

Search   Services
Text Size: A A A Share Share  

Complaints, Claims & Appeals

Consumer Complaints

The Office of the Attorney General (OAG) enforces the District's consumer protection and antitrust laws. It brings court actions to stop deceptive, anti-competitive, or unconscionable business practices and to obtain compensation for consumers. Although OAG does not represent individual consumers, it helps consumers and merchants to resolve their disputes. In addition, it uses consumer complaint information to determine whether there is a pattern or practice by a business that warrants investigation or possible legal action by OAG.


Trash Truck Noise Complaints

TrashTrash collection by private haulers is prohibited between the hours of 9 pm and 7 am in residential, special purpose, or waterfront zones, or within 300 feet of any of these zones. These rules do not apply to Department of Public Works vehicles, only private trash collection companies.

If we find the private trash hauler is operating outside the allowable hours, the company will be issued a Notice of Infraction for $1,000.00.


Cable Television Complaints

Cable CompliantThe Office of Cable Television  is the cable customer's advocate, holding cable companies to the highest levels of customer and technical service. 

Cable customers can send comments and complaints about cable providers.

Human Rights Complaints

Do you have a human rights complaint against an employer or educational institution? Do you need to file a complaint about inadequate language access, public access, or housing? 

If so, you should complete a questionnaire and submit to the Office of Human Rights. Once you have completed the questionnaire you may submit the form online, or print to fax, mail or bring personally to the office. If your complaint meets the jurisdictional requirement and is determined that you have a prima facie case of discrimination, the intake officer will generate a charge of discrimination and an affidavit. You will be required to declare that what you are alleging is true.


Police Complaints

The Office of Police Complaints provides a variety of ways to make a complaint. With any of the methods below, you must complete and sign a complaint form in order for us to pursue the matter. It is critical that you file your complaint as soon as possible so that photographs can be taken and medical records obtained quickly. A complaint must be received by the Office of Police Complaints within 45 days of the date of the incident.


Campaign Finance Complaint

Campaign InvestigationAnyone may request that the Office of Campaign Finance (OCF) begin an investigation of potential violations by OCF filers of the statutes and regulations under OCF jurisdiction. You may submit a complaint and signed written statement setting forth an allegation that constitutes a potential violation of the Campaign Finance Act or the Standards of Conduct.

Health Benefit Plan Decision Appeal

Every health benefits plan member has the right to appeal a decision by the health benefits plan that results in a denial, reduction, limitation, termination, or delay in covered health care services. Under the District of Columbia law and regulations, each health benefits plan is required to provide members with the opportunity to resolve an appeal through a two-stage internal grievance process.



Real Property Assessment Appeals

Real propertyYou can appeal a real property assessment by mail or fax to the Real Property Tax Administration. You must file your appeal within 30 days of the date of your assessment notice.


Rent Appeals

Find out if you can file an appeal with the Rental Housing Commission (RHC).


Contract Appeals

The Contract Appeals Board is an impartial, expeditious, inexpensive, and knowledgeable forum for hearing and resolving contractual disputes and protests involving the District and its contracting communities.